Now, I don't mind it so much when it's all planned out 24 hours in advance and I've prepared for each and every little thing (can we say obsessive much?) The truth is that it doesn't always go down as planned and expecting the unexpected is really the only way to keep sane through it all!
That's why I love the concept (and practice) of keeping a To-Go Bag in the car. A melange of all the seemingly trivial little items that can really come in handy when on the go. Here are some ideas to consider for your own To-Go Bag:
- Lipstick / Lipgloss - personally, I am addicted to chapstick and MUST have this at all times
- Mints / Gum - for when the Starbucks-breath hasn't faded before your 9am meeting
- Lint Roller - I love visiting clients with pets, but dog fur covered pants doesn't always make a good impress at my next appointment!
- Pen / Notebook
- Back-up Phone Charger
- Quarters for Meters
- Small Scissors
- Safety Pins
- Band-Aids (especially if those are new shoes you're breaking in!)
- Perfume / Body Spray
- Notecards / Stamps - great when you network a lot and want to send a "Nice to meet you" note as an immediate follow-up
Here are some cute insulated bags to get you started. I have no proof of this, but I imagine an insulated bag would be better since it's sitting in the car all day and subject to varying temperatures! And be sure to let me know what your cannot-live-without ToGo items are!